Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New York City Unveils Water-less Urinals!


(my first choice was 'debuts' but the assonance was too tempting to pass up, although I hope I haven't opened a keg of nails with assonance, for the places to put one's assonance are on the opposite wall behind a series of well thought out partitions)
Can it be? The future is indeed now. Not too sure how high the priority of saving water is that we can't even properly flush our liquid waste into the waste stream. Perhaps if we (us, the U.S., could come to terms with gray water and black water and the like . . .) But more than the incredibility of the idea is the location -- the Port Authority Bus Terminal!
Flushed with pride as I am as both a New Yorker and a commuter, I have to question the wisdom of the attempt to try these things out here. Long synonymous with the underbelly of New York (while cognisant of certain attempts to reverse that trend) this is not exactly the home of the gentleman restroom user. Far from it!
Notice the lack of any valveage or handles or motion detectors of any sort. Gone too is the pleasant enough urinal 'cake' enclosed these days in a little plastic mesh apparatus. You can imagine the commotion I caused just trying to snap this picture. (The attendant on duty asked if I was from 'the TV'.) While I regrettably informed the happy employee that I was taking this picture for personal use only I wondered why this had not hit the main . . . (um) . . . stream media. Perhaps already splashed across the pages of trade journals, I bring it to you here. (Salon and Huffington, please take note.)

No comments: